Wednesday 14 March 2012

Could I be a runner?

Note I left to my housemates before embarking on my run today. 

Before we go any further, I am not a runner. Nor am I a jogger. And before Christmas I could barely make it 100 feet without keeling over and breathing as if I had run a marathon.

And I used every excuse in the book. My feet are too flat. It's really bad for your joints. I'm too 'top heavy'. The list was endless as to why I couldn't get my arse up off the couch and around the park.

But, as I started to seriously train for Kilimanjaro, there are a certain amount of kilos that need to be lost before I can be properly satisfied with my physical health. So, I started doing little jogs on the treadmill at the gym, started hauling myself out of bed on a Saturday to jog around the common. And today something amazing happened.

I actually enjoyed my run. Now, it could have something to do with the two glasses of bubbly I had at a press event at about 5pm, or it could be down to the amazing weather we had today, or it could be because I named my ipod playlist 'I like to run' in some kind of subliminal message to myself. But whatever it was down to, it worked.

I managed 2.5miles, (this is a huge distance for me) without collapsing or turning into Darth Vadar.

Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment