Sunday 11 March 2012

Challenge of a lifetime: Kilimanjaro

No, no, that isn't an error above.

I have signed up to climb Kilimanjaro in June this year. I am no sports woman, I file exercise in the must-do list rather than a 'love to do' list and I have never properly been camping. Unless you count that time when I was 16 and the whole school year went to Lough Dan, Co. Wicklow for a classmate bonding experience.

(sub note: We ate far too much chocolate, couldn't sleep and our biggest fear was the thought of a hedgehog wiggling into the six person tent) 

So, it's fair to stay that I am a trekking novice and hiking beginner. But, what I lack in experience, I seriously make up for with determination and down-right stubbornness. And dare I say it? If Chris Moyles can make it to the top...

In a little less than three months, I will be boarding that plane to Tanzania, hiking boots on, Camelbak filled and  mentally pumped for the experience. Or so I like to hope.

I should start by explaining how I got this crazy idea.

I have always has a bucket list, filed away in the adventure seeker and Pepsi-Max Challenge-accepting mind of mine. On that list are things like flying a plane, afternoon tea at the Ritz and bungee jumping.

But, as my 25th birthday was drawing closer, I wanted to start ticking a few things off. Perfectly planned, I will be three days into my climb on my 24th birthday.

And it was around my birthday last year, when a good friend of mine stopped off in London for one night on her way back to Dublin after climbing Kilimanjaro for charity. I have never seen her look so invigorated, excited and simply glowing as she retold all the stories from the trek.

Stories of filth, altitude sickness, noisy baboons in camp and searing muscular pain did nothing but make me more determined to sign up. You know who you are, and you're both to blame and to thank for all this! :)

So right now, I'm in the throws of training and preparing for the climb. I have my hiking boots (and walking poles, though I'm yet to bring them out in London!) just trying to build up the muscle needed to take the 6,000 meter, six day climb.

I'll be posting up some shots of my walks, the gear I bought and woffling on a bit too much about it all!

If you've done Kili, or are like me and are preparing for it, let me know! I can't shut up about it now, and my friends are getting a little bored of hearing just how comfy my hiking boots are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment