Wednesday 14 March 2012

How to get a holiday visa to Tanzania

This is the conversation that ensued at the Tanzanian Embassy today.

Visa Man: Hello, how can I help?

Me: I'd like to apply  for a holiday visa for June please.

Visa Man: You look very young to be travelling so far...(examines passport). 

Me: Ahhh, I'm older than I look...(awkward pause while man calculates how old I'm meant to be, then looks at my un-makeuped face through the glass). 

Visa Man: Let me guess, you're going to try climb Kilimanjaro.

Me: Yes, I'm really looking forward to it! (excited face, beaming through glass)

Visa Man: Well, my brother died on that mountain...so, you know...

Me: ....ohh, ehmmm, gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss, that must have been terrible for your family.... (I'm seriously awkward now). 

Visa Man: Bahhhaahaahaaaahaaa, Lady, you have just made my day - the look on your face was priceless. It never gets old. I say it to everyone who gets a visa for Kilimanjaro! (Chuckles to himself in a hearty 'ho ho ho, I got this one good!' fashion).

Me: (stunned and silent). 

Visa Man: Ok, you're all set, collect it on Monday.

So there you have it ladies and gents, let the visa man scare the living pants off you about your forthcoming adventure holiday and the visa shall be granted.

(Subnote: I immediately Googled how many people die on Kilimanjaro each year. 10 people apparently. Ohhhh pants.)

No comments:

Post a Comment